Laughing gas is Nitrous Oxide
Nitrous Oxide is a colorless gas that is somewhat sweet-smelling and non-irritating gas which you can breathe when mixed equally with oxygen. Laughing gas relieves dental anxiety. Laughing is safe when delivered by dental professionals and is general the first step for “sedation dentistry.” After treatment is completed, the patient is given pure oxygen which reverses the effects. During your treatment, some patient may experience very mild amnesia and some times fall asleep. Not remembering every detail of what happened during the appointment can help relieve dental anxiety for future dental treatments.After 15 to 20minutes dental patients are able to drive safely to no side effects.
There are many advantages to using Nitrous Oxide
- The depth of sedation can be altered at any time to increase or decrease sedation.
- There is no after effect such as a “hangover”.
- Inhalation sedation is safe with no side effects on your heart and lungs, etc.
- Inhalation sedation is very effective in minimizing gagging.
- It works rapidly as it reaches the brain within 20 seconds. In as little as 2-3 minutes its relaxation and pain killing properties develop.
Reasons to not use Nitrous Oxide
Dental patients with M.S., a cold,emphysema, breathing problems, or other difficulties with breathing should not used laughing gas. Ask your dentist for a “5 minute trial” is a great way to find out how this medical gas can make you feel about this type of sedation method before proceeding.